If you’ve been installing SCCM Technical Preview in your lab, SCCM 1606 contain most features included in the latest technical previews.
Consult technical Articles for a full features list. 1606 also applies the latest KB/fixes to fix known bugs…. Including KB3155482 but not KB3174008 (which was release a week prior to 1606). If you had already installed KB3174008, 1606 will revert the fixes included in KB3174008. Microsoft recommendation is to skip this KB (unless you are really blocked by this), update to 1606 and wait for a new KB that will be available for 1606 soon. (Which will include KB3174008).
Here’s our list of favorite features
- Option for clients to switch to a new software update point
- You can enable the option for Configuration Manager clients to switch to a new software update point when there are issues with the active software update point.
- Per-app VPN for Windows 10 devices
- For Windows 10 devices managed using Configuration Manager with Intune, you can add a list of apps that automatically open a VPN connection that you have configured through the Configuration Manager admin console. You have the option of restricting VPN traffic to those apps, or you can continue to allow all traffic through the VPN connection.
- Customize the RamDisk TFTP block size and window size on PXE-enabled distribution points
- You can customize the RamDisk TFTP block size and window size for PXE-enabled distribution points. If you have customized your network, it could cause the boot image download to fail with a time-out error because the block or window size is too large. The RamDisk TFTP block size and window size customization allow you to optimize TFTP traffic when using PXE to meet your specific network requirements
- Improvements to the Install software updates task sequence
- A new task sequence variable, SMSTSSoftwareUpdateScanTimeout, is available to give you the ability to control the timeout on the software updates scan during the Install software updates task sequence step. The default value is 30 minutes.
- There have been improvements to logging. The smsts.log log file will contain new log entries that reference other log files that will help you to troubleshoot issues during the software updates installation process.